On September 28, 2015, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced an empowering new program, providing financial incentives and regulatory flexibility to Part D Prescription Drug Plans (PDPs), to encourage meaningful innovation in Medication Therapy Management (MTM) services. The press release is on the CMS website.
CMS calls its new program the Enhanced MTM Model Test (Model). CMS has developed the following timeline for participation in the Enhanced MTM Model:
- October 2015: Request for Application (RFA) Released by CMS
- January 2016: Model Applications Due to CMS
- March 2016: Provisionally-Accepted Model Plans Identified
- July/August 2016: Model Agreements Released to Plan Participants
- January 2017: Prospective Payments to Participating PDPs Begin
CMS encourages interested and eligible PDPs to begin planning their enhanced MTM proposals immediately!